what's your middle name?

Someone once told me that you should try to learn something new every day.
With this in mind, each day of 2012 I will try to discover the middle name of someone I do not know.
This blog charts my progress.
Richard M. Crawley


Friday 24 February 2012

Antony (as spelt on birth certificate) and Bashak

A man came to connect my phone line.  He was wearing a florescent yellow gilet and a beanie.  The process took some time and he had to get out his ladders.  As he was going down the stairs I asked my question and then whether it was with or without an 'h'.  'Well, I spell it with an 'h' but on my birth certificate it's without, you know?' he replied.

Later, in a pub full of noisy Welshmen, the topic of names that could have been is raised.  My friend might have been called 'Milo' after his mother's childhood dog.  I was nearly 'Hamish' after a donkey in a children's book.  A friend of a friend said she had once considered changing her name by deed poll to 'Rik Mayall'.  The revelation of her Turkish middle name comes up by happy accident. 

2 comments:

  1. Actually, the friend was nearly named 'Milo' after the main character in 'The Phantom Tollbooth', but his mum didn't want him to think he'd been named after the dog.
    Love the blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A reasonable concern. Although a missed opportunity.
      Will you thank the friend for this correction?

      Delete