what's your middle name?

Someone once told me that you should try to learn something new every day.
With this in mind, each day of 2012 I will try to discover the middle name of someone I do not know.
This blog charts my progress.
Richard M. Crawley


Sunday 19 February 2012

Rani

Waiting for my debit card to be validated in a cafe, I ask the waitress.  She is tall and thin with hair that is halfway between maroon and red.  I don't think the colour is natural.  She says she thinks it means 'princess' in Indian but she is not sure.  'I'll ask my mum', she says, 'it's hers too'.  She tears the receipt from the chip and pin machine, then calls a shorter and plumper woman from behind the counter.  She has dark hair in curls and large glass crystals hanging from her ears.  They don't look related.  'Yes, it means princess in Indian', she confirms.  I ask if it was her mother's before her.  'No, my mum was English', she tells me, 'my dad was Indian'.

No comments:

Post a Comment