what's your middle name?

Someone once told me that you should try to learn something new every day.
With this in mind, each day of 2012 I will try to discover the middle name of someone I do not know.
This blog charts my progress.
Richard M. Crawley


Saturday 11 February 2012

St Albans Robert

Late at night in a quiet shopping mall in west London, I approach a shop assistant to ask about a heavily discounted item that I am considering purchasing.  He had a large diamante earring in his left ear and a heart-shaped face.  Wispy stubble grew from his chin.  He was folding a towel with energy.  Once he had reassured me that the item was not faulty (although it had been on the shelf since he had started working there the Christmas before last), I asked my question.  He smiled broadly.  His teeth were very white.

I asked whether, like Brooklyn Beckham, the name had anything to do with his place of conception.  His body bent back in laughter.  Considering that he was stuck folding towels in a department store in a shopping mall on a Saturday night, he seemed surprisingly chirpy.  He said he didn't think so but that it had something to do with his grandfather.  I thanked him and we shook hands.

I took the item to the check-out and rid the shop of something that had over-stayed its welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment