what's your middle name?

Someone once told me that you should try to learn something new every day.
With this in mind, each day of 2012 I will try to discover the middle name of someone I do not know.
This blog charts my progress.
Richard M. Crawley


Saturday 4 February 2012

O'Brien

Waiting at a cash machine, I am approached by a black man in a beanie who asks if I have any spare change.  It is snowing so I look in my pocket and find a two-pound coin.  I decide that it might be worth something in exchange.  "Is that your new year's resolution, is it?"  He smiles a crooked smile.  He is holding the stub of a cigarette.  "It's a good one".  I express surprise at his answer and ask whether he has Irish roots.  "Nah", he says, "the people who looked after me when I was a kid were Irish so my Mum decided to give me that name".  I raise my eyebrows and nod.  "I know.  Ridiculous isn' it?"  He laughs.  We wish each other a good evening.

No comments:

Post a Comment