what's your middle name?

Someone once told me that you should try to learn something new every day.
With this in mind, each day of 2012 I will try to discover the middle name of someone I do not know.
This blog charts my progress.
Richard M. Crawley


Sunday 5 February 2012

Ramesh

In a deserted South Indian restaurant we are looked after by two waiters with distinctive facial hair.  One came to collect the bill and I made my request.  We had difficulties understanding one another.  I tried to explain about resolutions and middle names.  "I don't know about that", he said.  I tried once more.  A baffled smile crossed his face.  He told me it was his father's name.  In India it is customary for a son to be given his father's first name as a middle.

A minute later he returned.  He wanted to know mine.  I told him and he asked how it worked in England.  "I don't know", he said.  I said I thought it was rather hotchpotch and that I didn't either.

No comments:

Post a Comment