what's your middle name?

Someone once told me that you should try to learn something new every day.
With this in mind, each day of 2012 I will try to discover the middle name of someone I do not know.
This blog charts my progress.
Richard M. Crawley


Tuesday 22 May 2012

Hussein

The sun begins to set and a bell signals an end to the first summer's evening in the park.  A truck carrying black bin bags is circuiting the grass.  Outside is written the slogan, 'Improving Lambeth's Parks'; inside is a man with a brass bell in one hand and a mobile phone in the other.  He stops intermittently and rings the bell out of his window.  I interrupt his phone call to ask my question.

'A mi'ul?' he asks.  He has a thin face and a small mouth.  His teeth are uneven and rabbit-like.  He wears a florescent gilet.  'Yeh, I've got a mi'ul', he says.  He concentrates for a moment then says something I don't understand.  I have to ask him to spell it for me.

'Thank you very much', I say.  'Have a good day', he says going back to his phone call and his bell-ringing round.

No comments:

Post a Comment