what's your middle name?

Someone once told me that you should try to learn something new every day.
With this in mind, each day of 2012 I will try to discover the middle name of someone I do not know.
This blog charts my progress.
Richard M. Crawley


Sunday 27 May 2012

(Ruth) and Matthew

Leaving an album launch in South London, I interrupt some goodbyes to ask the lady who had taken my money at the door.  She has a perpendicular fringe and her hair is cut into a straight line at her shoulder.  It sways as she answers, 'I don't have one'.  Disaster looms but a bald man with glasses (her husband) steps into the breech and gives me what I need. 'Do you want to know the reason for it?' he asks before thinking, 'Oh no, that's my first name'.

'I should have had a middle name', says the original object of my request.  She is eager to help and tells me the name that her mother had chosen; 'But my dad was drunk when he filled out the form and he forgot to write it down', she says.

No comments:

Post a Comment