what's your middle name?

Someone once told me that you should try to learn something new every day.
With this in mind, each day of 2012 I will try to discover the middle name of someone I do not know.
This blog charts my progress.
Richard M. Crawley


Saturday 17 November 2012

Dime

Unsure about some tortoise-shell glasses frames, the optician is adamant that they suit the shape of my face.  I seek a second opinion from a lady who sitting in a khaki coat waiting for her prescription.  'I like them', she says.  She has short reddish hair and a scarf knitted in similar shades to yesterday's beanie.  I check that she doesn't think the tortoise-shell is too much.  'Well, I have gone for leopard print', she says.  Her accent sounds Dutch.  'And I never thought I would'.  She smiles.  'But then I only need them for reading'.

I decide that I need more time to think about it but, before I go, I ask her for one more favour.  'It's a good job he didn't ask me because I don't have one', says the optician to anyone else who might be listening in the shop.  The lady in the scarf looks surprised and even flattered.  'You want to know mine?' she asks.  'Yes please', I reply.  She gives me an answer.  She is from Belgium.  I wish her luck with her leopard print.

No comments:

Post a Comment