what's your middle name?

Someone once told me that you should try to learn something new every day.
With this in mind, each day of 2012 I will try to discover the middle name of someone I do not know.
This blog charts my progress.
Richard M. Crawley


Wednesday 7 November 2012

Rose

A couple, both in hooded jackets are walking towards me.  I stop them in their tracks.  He looks suspicious.  She lights up.  'I've got a middle name', she says.  Through her left eyebrow is a silver ring.  Underneath her hood she is wearing a yellow knitted hat with a plaited pigtail hanging down from either side.  She jumps in the air.  'But you've got to guess', she says.  She gives me her first and last name as a clue.  'Mary', I suggest.  She is enjoying herself.  I realise it may take some time. 'Elizabeth? ... Joy?'

'That's a nice one', she says and then tells me it begins with an 'r'.  'Rebecca?' I try.  'Rachel?'  I don't seem to be getting any closer.  She gives in and tells me that it is a flower.  I still manage to guess 'rhododendron', before finally getting the right answer.

Her companion pipes up and asks if I have really got one for everyday of the year.  I tell him that I do but that some days are easier than others.  'Today's been very nice', I say.  'Well', he replies.  'She is very nice'.  I tell him that I thought he seemed more suspicious.  'I'm also very nice', he says.  'But I am more suspicious'.

We agree that it has been a happy encounter.  I thank them for their help and wish them a safe journey home.  'We're going to the pub', says the man.  'But you have a safe journey home'.

No comments:

Post a Comment