what's your middle name?

Someone once told me that you should try to learn something new every day.
With this in mind, each day of 2012 I will try to discover the middle name of someone I do not know.
This blog charts my progress.
Richard M. Crawley


Friday 23 November 2012

Lin

Buying my first mulled wine of the season, the lady behind the stall has a white fringe.  We are near the river.  'It smells good', I say.  'I'm immune', she replies.  'All I can smell is burnt'.

I take this festive marker as an opportunity.  'I'm actually called by my middle name', she tells me.  Her first name is Margaret, like her mother's and her grandmother's.  She needed a means of distinguishing herself.  She has come to London by way of Norway and Scotland.

'I had a friend at school who had a double-barreled surname', she says.  'So she used to say that her middle name was dash'.  We laugh.

No comments:

Post a Comment