what's your middle name?

Someone once told me that you should try to learn something new every day.
With this in mind, each day of 2012 I will try to discover the middle name of someone I do not know.
This blog charts my progress.
Richard M. Crawley


Sunday 25 November 2012

Francesca

At a birthday drink on the other side of London, I am introduced to someone who lives five minutes away from me.  She has short brown hair and a horizontally striped top.  We agree that it too us longer than expected to get here.

In the spirit of neighbourhood solidarity, I ask her my question.  'It was going to be my first name', she tells me.  'But both my parents being teachers and my grandparents, they decided that I wouldn't be able to spell it until I was sixteen'.  They called her Anne instead.

'But now I've used it for my daughter', she says.  Her daughter is four-and-a-half years old.  I ask if she can spell it.  'Yes', she replies.  'But she spells my name with only one 'n''.

No comments:

Post a Comment