what's your middle name?

Someone once told me that you should try to learn something new every day.
With this in mind, each day of 2012 I will try to discover the middle name of someone I do not know.
This blog charts my progress.
Richard M. Crawley


Saturday 21 April 2012

Azula

Late for a party on a barge and out-of-breath, the skipper agrees to pick me up from the towpath.  She is dressed for the job in a green fleece and boardshorts.  She has dreadlocks which emerge from under a Rastafarian knitted hat. There are wide gaps between her teeth and scabs on her bare legs.  She speaks with an authoritative rasp.

I catch my breath and join the party.  As we wait for the water level to rise at the lock I return to thank her for letting me board and ask her middle name.  'I don't have one', she says and then adds, 'I used to have a pretend one if that's any help'.  I tell her it is.  'I chose it so I could always win at Red Letter', she tells me and explains that it is a game where you take one step forward if a certain letter is in your name; 'z', being rare, was a significant advantage.

'Where did you get it from?' I ask.  'No idea', she replies, 'I completely made it up'.  She cackles.  The lock opens and I realise I am distracting her from steering so retreat to the other end of the boat.

No comments:

Post a Comment