what's your middle name?

Someone once told me that you should try to learn something new every day.
With this in mind, each day of 2012 I will try to discover the middle name of someone I do not know.
This blog charts my progress.
Richard M. Crawley


Friday 27 April 2012

Pearl

On a plane to Belfast, the middle-aged lady sitting next to me wants to talk.  She has cropped dark hair and a strong Northern Irish accent.  I hear about her recent trip to Reykyavik, the importance of good friends and the girl who broke her eldest son's heart.  'I liked her right enough like', she says, 'but it was me who had to pick up the pieces'.

As we arrive, I tell her about my project.  'Oh dear', she says, 'mine's rather old-fashioned'.  She was named after her aunt.  'I bet you haven't had that one before'.  I tell her I haven't.  'Precious as a pearl', she says with a hint of sarcasm before wishing me a happy weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment