what's your middle name?

Someone once told me that you should try to learn something new every day.
With this in mind, each day of 2012 I will try to discover the middle name of someone I do not know.
This blog charts my progress.
Richard M. Crawley


Monday 16 April 2012

Mary (II)

Welsh rarebit was off the menu because she didn't know how to use the grill.  Instead my friend and I had home-made lasagne and faggots with mashed potato.  We saw her cross the road to buy a packet of frozen peas from the local Spar.

After eating, I asked my question.  She was wearing a red blouse with a black cardigan and thin red glasses.  She looked pleased to be asked.  'It's after my grandmother, Lily Mary', she told me.  'My first name is Glynis because my father's name is Glynn'.  She told me about her family, the town that she had lived in for thirty-six years and the recent move to this village.  'There's not much for the young here', she said, 'they tend to move away'.

1 comment:

  1. This blog will one day be used as a written history of life in the UK. It's brilliant!

    ReplyDelete