what's your middle name?

Someone once told me that you should try to learn something new every day.
With this in mind, each day of 2012 I will try to discover the middle name of someone I do not know.
This blog charts my progress.
Richard M. Crawley


Wednesday 4 April 2012

Molissa

Being served a three-course supper in my bedroom, I tell the lady who delivers and collects my trays that there is no need to knock.  She is wearing a crisp white short-sleeved shirt and a black skirt.  Her hair is cropped to her head and her earrings are silver disks.  She is large and our exchanges are very polite.

As she brings my pudding, I pluck up the courage to ask my question.  It takes a while to explain but she is patient.  She taps my leg when she understands 'New Year's Resolution'.

'I have no idea', she says when I ask if there is a reason for it, 'I have never thought to question it'.  She tells me her mother picked her first name from a book.  She was born on a neighbouring island.

She smiles and says, 'Enjoy your dessert', warning me that it is hot.  I thank her and tuck into my chocolate pot.

No comments:

Post a Comment