what's your middle name?

Someone once told me that you should try to learn something new every day.
With this in mind, each day of 2012 I will try to discover the middle name of someone I do not know.
This blog charts my progress.
Richard M. Crawley


Wednesday 11 April 2012

Patricia

An over-booked flight leads to me spending the night at a beach resort hotel.  During the day, I make several visits to the front desk to ask about pick-up times, charging my laptop and free meal vouchers.  The lady behind the counter is eager to help.  Her hair is in thick plaits woven tightly to her scalp.  They meet at the back in a shell shape.  The roots are speckled with grey.  She wears bronze-rimmed spectacles and gold hoop earrings.  The younger members of staff are wearing bright pink and purple.  She wears the same uniform but in a sandy brown.  A name badge gives her name, 'SUE'.

Whilst on the phone to Virgin Atlantic, she asks whether I have enjoyed my holiday.  I tell her that I have been here for work.  'You must be a very good teacher that they fly you out here', she says.  I say that I am not so sure.  'I wish I was an academic so I could go and teach in Mustique'.

Later she phones my room to tell me that my taxi is shortly to arrive.  I use the opportunity to ask my question.  'Sue is a pet name', she tells me and then goes on to give me the information I need.

I say goodbye to her at the front desk as I leave.  She puts out her hand and I shake it.  'It's been good to meet you, Mr Crawley'.  'Likewise', I say and promise to come back to the resort if I should ever find myself on the island again.

No comments:

Post a Comment