what's your middle name?

Someone once told me that you should try to learn something new every day.
With this in mind, each day of 2012 I will try to discover the middle name of someone I do not know.
This blog charts my progress.
Richard M. Crawley


Sunday 26 August 2012

Jean

Waking up in a new city I take shelter from the rain, if not the wind, in a neighbourhood coffee shop.

'Do you think it's going to go away?' I ask the lady behind the counter.  'I think it's going to rain all day', she says.  'And it's supposed to thunderstorm this evening'.  She is large and friendly.  Around her right upper-arm is a brightly-coloured tattoo.  On her head she wears a blue-patterned bandana.  I order a coffee and a slice of apple cinnamon cake.  I sit in the window and watch the weather.

Half an hour later and it seems to be abating.  I go to pay.  She asks where I am from and what I am doing in the city.  We talk about childhood enthusiasm, baking cakes and rain.  I ask my question.  'It's after my grandmother on one side, and also on the other side', she tells me.  I say that I'll be back to try a different cake before I leave.  I go out and brave the elements.  I get wet.


No comments:

Post a Comment