what's your middle name?

Someone once told me that you should try to learn something new every day.
With this in mind, each day of 2012 I will try to discover the middle name of someone I do not know.
This blog charts my progress.
Richard M. Crawley


Wednesday 8 August 2012

Michelle

By e-mail I have arranged to meet a friend of a friend for a drink in her city.  My phone is not working and we have resorted to arranging a time and a place.  I will be wearing a blue-checked shirt.  She will be 'tall with long brown/red hair and mostly wearing black'.

I am five minutes late and there is another man in blue-checks hovering by the entrance.  After being refused a couple of optimistic eye-contacts, I find a girl, mostly in black, who responds.  We establish our prior connection.

We have a beer and walk along a raised railway line which, after years of disuse, has been planted and made into a public pathway.  She points out the most important sights including a hotel that rents rooms by the hour. 

Over some food and sitting in a seat recently vacated by a celebrity (the waiter is talkative), I ask what the 'M' in her e-mail address stands for.  She tells me that for Googling reasons she has had to distinguish herself from others who share her name including an actress, a designer and a call girl.

No comments:

Post a Comment