what's your middle name?

Someone once told me that you should try to learn something new every day.
With this in mind, each day of 2012 I will try to discover the middle name of someone I do not know.
This blog charts my progress.
Richard M. Crawley


Saturday 25 August 2012

Michael

It is hot and I decide that something advertised as a 'snowball' sounds appealing.  I approach the counter and am faced with a bamboozling variety of flavours.

'This is how we decide', says the man behind the counter handing me a plastic teaspoon.  Into it he pours brightly-coloured syrups which I have to taste before he reveals what they are.  I try ruby pomegranate, cucumber and melon, chocolate, sour apple and egg custard.  I chose the sour apple.  The server, who is young, wears a dark green apron over a lighter green polo-shirt.  His hair is a short buzz-cut and he has metal-rimmed glasses.  His eye-contact is slightly squiffy.

'Okay then', he says and proceeds to shave a block of ice into tiny shards.  'Hold out your hand', he says and gives me a handful of the powdered ice.  It does feel like snow.  'That's what it's like', he says.  He fills a cup with the snow and copious quantities of the viscous emerald green liquid.

Ten minutes later I pass the stall again.  'How was your snowball?' he asks.  'Very good', I reply because it was.  I ask my question.  He tells me his first name first and then his middle.  He is from a nearby state and recently moved to the city that needs ways to cool down.

No comments:

Post a Comment