what's your middle name?

Someone once told me that you should try to learn something new every day.
With this in mind, each day of 2012 I will try to discover the middle name of someone I do not know.
This blog charts my progress.
Richard M. Crawley


Thursday 30 August 2012

Shawan

'Hello', says the security guard standing by a stained glass window in a modern art museum.  She is a big black woman with short back and sides.  The top is an diagonal asymmetric fringe.  She is wearing a white shirt and black waistcoat.  'Hello', I reply.

'Where are you from?' she asks.  I tell her.  She shudders.  'That's what got me into trouble the first time', she says.  'My son's father was from Birmingham'.  I ask if it brings back bad memories.  'It just makes me wanna choke you', she says taking two steps forward.  I take two steps back.  'Sorry', I say.  'No, no', she says, 'I'm over that now'.  'I'm not from Birmingham', I say.

The tension averted, I ask my question.  'What's yours?' she asks with suspicion.  She gives me hers in exchange.  I ask where it comes from.  'My mother just made it up', she says.  'Just like my first name'.  We introduce ourselves and shake hands.  'It's nice to meet you, Richard', she says.  I go to look at the stained glass.

(An hour later we pass again in the main hall.  She puts up her hand and waves her fingers.  'Hello Richard', she says.  'Hello', I reply.)

No comments:

Post a Comment