what's your middle name?

Someone once told me that you should try to learn something new every day.
With this in mind, each day of 2012 I will try to discover the middle name of someone I do not know.
This blog charts my progress.
Richard M. Crawley


Monday 17 September 2012

Oketta

'Good exercise man', says the man sitting on a bench in the park as I jog past.  I have been doing stretches on the grass.  Next to the bench is a metal walker with a grey plastic handle.  He gives me two thumbs up.  'Thank you', I say jogging on.  Then, realising an opportunity, I circle and return.  He seems happy to provide me with an answer.

'I am originally from a country called Uganda', he tells me.  I say I have heard of it.  'But I have been here since 1988', he says, 'and I am now a British citizen'.  I ask if he is local.  He points to a house on the corner.  'It was given to me by the council of Lambeth', he says.

I thank him for his help and say it was nice to meet him  His two thumbs return to the upright position.  'God bless you too, man', he says as I pick up my pace.

No comments:

Post a Comment