what's your middle name?

Someone once told me that you should try to learn something new every day.
With this in mind, each day of 2012 I will try to discover the middle name of someone I do not know.
This blog charts my progress.
Richard M. Crawley


Thursday 15 March 2012

Ade

For charity, I visit a large bar near Picadilly Circus.  There are flashing lights, popular hits and half-price cocktails.  The barmaids all wear identical brightly-coloured and tightly fitted dresses with knee-high white leather boots.  One of them looks at me blankly when I try to ask my question whilst ordering a caipirinha.  I decide it is not worth pursuing.

In the toilets, a man hovers ready to pounce with soap, aftershaves and lolly-pops.  I choose the sink furthest from him but before I have turned on the tap he is standing next to me.  'No soap, no hope', he says.  I agree that hygiene is important and accept a squirt.  'No splash, no gash', he says turning on the tap.  I am not sure whether I have misheard him.  'Take a towel if you're on the prowl'.  I realise I haven't.  'No cologne, no one comes home'.  The man at the urinal starts laughing.  'No lolly, no jolly.  No Davidoff, no suck it off.'  There are others but, without a notebook, I knew I would not be able to remember them.  I halt his flow with my question.  He smiles revealing a filling like a thick paper clip on his front tooth.  He tells me the name is Nigerian.

I leave the bar before eleven o'clock.

No comments:

Post a Comment