what's your middle name?

Someone once told me that you should try to learn something new every day.
With this in mind, each day of 2012 I will try to discover the middle name of someone I do not know.
This blog charts my progress.
Richard M. Crawley


Wednesday 21 March 2012

Phillip

A man comes to visit to check my gas and electricity meters.  He is tall and wears a black beanie with a Nike swoosh on the front.  Long hair protrudes from the back and sides.  He has a scraggly beard and his gait is gangly.  I know where the meters are so the transaction is swift but friendly.  On the landing I make my request.  'Right', he replies and gives me his name.  I ask is it is spelt with one or two 'l's.  'Two', is his answer.  We wish each other good days.

(The Nike 'swoosh' was designed by Carolyn Davidson in 1971 while she was a graphic design student at Portland State University.  The prospective founder of Nike was there teaching accounting.  A chance meeting resulted in him asking her to think of design ideas for the new brand that he was launching.  She invoiced $35 for her work to which his reaction was, 'I don't love it but I think it will grow on me'.)

No comments:

Post a Comment