what's your middle name?

Someone once told me that you should try to learn something new every day.
With this in mind, each day of 2012 I will try to discover the middle name of someone I do not know.
This blog charts my progress.
Richard M. Crawley


Sunday 25 March 2012

Lee

In an unfamiliar part of north London, I find myself in a hotel conference room on the outskirts of a circle whilst people hand round a microphone.  I have come to meet a friend who has just taken part in a three-day personal development course and am invited in for the final moments.  The participants seem positive, if a little shell-shocked.  There is a lot of smiling, touching and applause.  There are other visitors but when the organiser asks if anyone in the room has never done one of his courses, I am the only one to put my hand up.  He is kind and tells me not to be afraid.

'All you need is love' plays over the tannoy as people begin to disperse.  I sit in a corner whilst my friend does a round of goodbye hugs.  At my request she sends someone over to give me his middle name.  The first is an Israeli with a red T-shirt and a fashionably pulled back woollen hat.  He tells me that middle names are very rare in Israel.  The second is a shyer man with glasses over a hooked nose.  He smiles at my request and gives me an answer.  I wonder if we should talk more and break down our personal barriers but we don't.

I collect my coat and my friend takes me to have a pizza and a beer.

No comments:

Post a Comment