what's your middle name?

Someone once told me that you should try to learn something new every day.
With this in mind, each day of 2012 I will try to discover the middle name of someone I do not know.
This blog charts my progress.
Richard M. Crawley


Tuesday 6 March 2012

Obafemi

Nearing home and in despair of finding a middle name.  It is cold and I scan the bus for potential strangers.  As if by fate, a large pink suitcase falls in to my lap.  Its owner, a tall man wearing a tweed coat and a grey army cap, apologies and picks it up.  A brown leather satchel hangs by his waist.  I seize the moment.  His brief confusion is followed by a smile as he spells out his name.  He tells me it is from Nigeria.  I comment on the size of his suitcase.  He agrees that it is big.  I ask where he is going.  'Home', he says.  'Where's that?'  I ask.  'Nigeria', he replies.  Perhaps I should have known.

He and the pink suitcase get out at the next stop.  We are not near an airport.

No comments:

Post a Comment