what's your middle name?

Someone once told me that you should try to learn something new every day.
With this in mind, each day of 2012 I will try to discover the middle name of someone I do not know.
This blog charts my progress.
Richard M. Crawley


Friday 30 March 2012

Paulo Angelo

Looking for swimming shorts in one of Europe's biggest shopping malls, I go into a trendily over-priced clothing shop.  'What do you think of the store?' asks a shop assistant at the door.  The sides of his head are shaved and the top is a distressed quiff of curly brown hair.  He has defined facial bones, heavy-rimmed black glasses and a ring in the end of his nose.  He is Italian.  'We just opened today', he tells me.  I say that I feel privileged to be amongst the first customers.  He tells me that the second part of his middle name is after his grandmother with the 'a' changed to an 'o'.  I thank him and continue my tour of the shop.

As I am heading out empty handed, he approaches me again.  'So have you collected lots of other middle names today?' he asks.  I explain that I only need one and that his is it.  He asks what it is for and I tell him about the blog.  'Ah.  You're a blogger', he says.  I say that I'd never thought of myself like that.  He accompanies me to the entrance, 'See you around', he says.

I buy my swimming shorts elsewhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment