what's your middle name?

Someone once told me that you should try to learn something new every day.
With this in mind, each day of 2012 I will try to discover the middle name of someone I do not know.
This blog charts my progress.
Richard M. Crawley


Thursday 26 July 2012

Roksana, John Buchanan and Kaja

In a pub with candles on the tables and sherry decanters on the bar, the girl behind the bar is tired.  'Only half an hour to go', she says as I pay my bill.  She has red hair and wears an apron.  As I ask my question the barman listens in.  I ask how it is spelt.  'With a 'k'', she says, 'I am from Poland'.

'As in rock and a hard place?', asks the barman.  He has curly hair and a spring in his step.  She says she will write it down for me.  While waiting the barman asks what is the most unusual middle name I have come across.  I can't think off the top of my head but tell him that Ann(e) seems to be the most common.  'In my family, we always give family names', he tells me.  I get the feeling he wants to be included so I ask him too.  One is after his grandfather and the other a Scottish tribe.  'It's got a great tartan', he tells me, 'you'll recognise it'.

The girl with red hair comes back with hers written on a till receipt.  'I like my name', she tells me.

'I'll show you some', says the barman running off in search of some tartan.  Meanwhile the girl writes another name on a different receipt.  'This is my sister's', she says, demonstrating the pronunciation - a rasping sound in place of the 'j'.  The barman returns with a tartan rug.  It is nice.  'Very nice', I say.

'You should see what it looks like as a suit', he says.  'Me and my brother have got it in trousers, jacket and waistcoat'.  I am impressed.  'It looks pukka', he tells me.  I am sure it does.

No comments:

Post a Comment