what's your middle name?

Someone once told me that you should try to learn something new every day.
With this in mind, each day of 2012 I will try to discover the middle name of someone I do not know.
This blog charts my progress.
Richard M. Crawley


Saturday 21 July 2012

Theresa

Buying cake on a market stall, the sun is shining and everybody is in a good mood.  Above the table, filled with an array of baked goods, is a sign made of material scraps and buttons.  I ask the girl behind it which she recommends.  She answers with an Irish lilt,

'Well I particularly like the chocolate mocha,  but the lemon cake's very nice and the upside-down baked apple's delicious ... then there's the chocolate red-velvet ... well I think they're all great but then I would'. 

I consider my choice and we discuss the weather, her Friday-night baking routine and what she does with her left-overs.  I opt for the chocolate mocha, my friend has a brownie.  'Good choices', she says.

As she passes them over on paper plates, I ask my question.  'Can you guess?' she says.  I try Anne because it is common, then Jane because her first name is Mary and I am perhaps thinking of Spiderman's girlfriend.  Neither are correct.  She takes pity and gives me the answer.  'What's your name?' she asks.  I tell her, we shake hands and my friend and I go to find a spot in the sun to eat our cakes.  They are good choices.

No comments:

Post a Comment