what's your middle name?

Someone once told me that you should try to learn something new every day.
With this in mind, each day of 2012 I will try to discover the middle name of someone I do not know.
This blog charts my progress.
Richard M. Crawley


Tuesday 3 July 2012

Sandra

Buying flowers again, this time for an aunt and uncle, the girl at the check-out asks me how much they are.  'Are you sure?' she says when I tell her.  'Don't you believe me?' I ask.  'I just wanted to check', she speaks in a foreign accent and looks coy.  I decide to ask my question.

'She doesn't have one', says her colleague from the other end of the counter.  He is Indian and protective.  'Do you?' I ask.  He laughs and shakes his head.  'Even I don't have one', says a rotund lady who also appears behind the counter carrying a box of cleaning fluid.

I look around.  Behind me is a young woman with her red hair scraped back into a tight and long ponytail.  Her glasses are metallic and carved into an intricate design.  She is carrying a brrom, a mop and a bucket.  She is very thin.  She gives me an answer.

'It's terrible', she says.  'I hate it'.

No comments:

Post a Comment