what's your middle name?

Someone once told me that you should try to learn something new every day.
With this in mind, each day of 2012 I will try to discover the middle name of someone I do not know.
This blog charts my progress.
Richard M. Crawley


Tuesday 12 June 2012

Andrew

Leaving a tribute night to a local poet, I am accosted by a young rap artist with straggly blonde hair who hands me his card.  'You should check us out', he says.  His blue baseball cap is emblazoned with the slogan 'Only' and he wears a tartan baseball jacket.  'It's old school hip hop though', he assures me, 'proper stuff'.  His duo is called Too Many T's and the card claims them to have 'Premium Rap Skills'.

I tell him about my resolution.  He laughs.  'Do you have to guess it?' he says.  'Not necessarily', I reply.  'Go on'.  He smiles.  His face is thin and lightly stubbled.  I suggest John.  'Ooh.  So close', he says.  I try Tom.  'It's a real English name', he says.  I try a few more before he gives me the first letter and I guess.

I thank him and tell him I will look up his stuff.  As I go down the stairs he asks for my name and puts out his hand.  We shake.

(I do look up his stuff.  I like it.  My favourite is Lovin' Life for it's generally affirmative and upbeat attitude.)


No comments:

Post a Comment