what's your middle name?

Someone once told me that you should try to learn something new every day.
With this in mind, each day of 2012 I will try to discover the middle name of someone I do not know.
This blog charts my progress.
Richard M. Crawley


Saturday 23 June 2012

Elizabeth

Back in Britain's best-loved department store and a middle-aged lady is being helpful about a particular bedstead.  After extending her telephonic search as far as Solihull, she suggests that there is a damaged one in their stockroom.  She allows me to  buy it at a discount on the condition that I ring her to arrange a return if the damage is 'too much to bear'.

As she is processing the transaction we talk about opening hours and the Jubilee.  We discuss the Olympic games, the problem of youth unemployment in relation to her three sons and the disparity between the Haves and the Have Nots.

Taking my receipt I ask my question.  She smiles broadly.  'It's not exciting', she says.  I tell her it is exciting enough for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment