what's your middle name?

Someone once told me that you should try to learn something new every day.
With this in mind, each day of 2012 I will try to discover the middle name of someone I do not know.
This blog charts my progress.
Richard M. Crawley


Wednesday 3 October 2012

Angela

The two Koreans who ask me for directions to Harrods don't have middle names.

Instead, in a less salubrious part of town on the way home, I ask a woman sitting on a bench outside a pub.  She is smoking a roll-up.  'Sorry', she says in an eastern-European accent.  'You help me...  Resolution?'  Her hair is long and blonde-ish.  She is wearing a long multi-coloured woolen coat.  When she brings the cigarette to her mouth I notice her nails are painted sky blue.  I explain myself again.  She gives me an answer.

'It's from Serbia', she says.  'But...'  She shrugs and puts out her hand.  'What's your name?' she asks.  I shake it.  'I'm Richard', I say.  'No.  Your middle name', she says.  I tell her.  'That's nice', she says making a gesture of space.  'It's expansive'.

At the other end of the bench sits a man with a flat cap, thick glasses and bright yellow trainers.  I have interrupted their conversation.  'Thank you', I say.  'Sorry for the interruption'.  Her roll-up has gone out.  'No, no', she says looking for her lighter.  'It's a pleasure'.

No comments:

Post a Comment