what's your middle name?

Someone once told me that you should try to learn something new every day.
With this in mind, each day of 2012 I will try to discover the middle name of someone I do not know.
This blog charts my progress.
Richard M. Crawley


Monday 22 October 2012

Okujagu

Walking towards me are two black men.  One is tall and the other is short.  It is getting late so I stop them to ask for a middle name.  They look suspicious.  The tall one shakes his head.  'You don't have one?' I say.  I look towards the other.  He also shakes his head.  I get the feeling they don't like me. 

'I might have one', says the tall one in a quiet voice.  'But I don't think you'd understand it'.  I ask him to try me.  He does.  I repeat it.  He smiles broadly.  'It means by the grace of God', he tells me.  'It's Nigerian'.

I thank him for his help.  I feel that we have made friends.  He puts out his hand to cement the deal.

No comments:

Post a Comment