what's your middle name?

Someone once told me that you should try to learn something new every day.
With this in mind, each day of 2012 I will try to discover the middle name of someone I do not know.
This blog charts my progress.
Richard M. Crawley


Wednesday 17 October 2012

Graham

Downstairs in a coffee shop and the seat opposite me is free until a man asks if he can sit in it.  He is portly and wearing a dark suit jacket, white shirt and jeans.  I say that he can.  'They're just so comfy', he says, settling in to scribble on a spiral notepad.

'Young man', he says half-an-hour later, 'do you have an i-phone charger?'  I tell him that I don't.  'I'm running out of juice', he explains.  I take the opportunity to ask my question.

He sits forward and extends a hand to introduce himself.  I shake it.  'I think that's great', he says.  He tells me that he is the fourth in his family to be given the combination of his first and middle name.  'It originated in the hills of Scotland', he says.  Sometimes he adds an 'IV'.

He currently sells air-conditioning for a living but also has a vested interest in wind turbines.  On his phone he shows me the design for a new, compact model that can power a vehicle.  'We want to get the in Tesco car-parks', he says.  I nod. 

I thank him for his help and we sit back into our respective arm-chairs.

No comments:

Post a Comment