what's your middle name?

Someone once told me that you should try to learn something new every day.
With this in mind, each day of 2012 I will try to discover the middle name of someone I do not know.
This blog charts my progress.
Richard M. Crawley


Saturday 20 October 2012

Astarte Inanna Hathor Mylitta Ishtar

In a panic, I ask the time to find that the midnight hour has passed without a middle name.  Disappointed, and with only myself to blame, I despair.

Then, in a moment of inspiration, I remember flicking through a poetry book on the bus.  One of the poems was about the goddess of love.  I remember a list of names.  I decide that has to be my answer.

Though not strictly 'middle', the poet lists the many different names of the deity of fertility, sexuality and war.  In the order they appear above, the names are Greek, Sumerian, Egyptian, Babylonian and Assyrian.  My Latin teacher used to call her 'Aphrodite with the see-through nightie'.

No comments:

Post a Comment