what's your middle name?

Someone once told me that you should try to learn something new every day.
With this in mind, each day of 2012 I will try to discover the middle name of someone I do not know.
This blog charts my progress.
Richard M. Crawley


Thursday 18 October 2012

Stephen

Leaning against the ticket machine at the station is a tube worker looking listless.  It is late and I'm on my way home.  I approach to ask my question.  He calmly smiles.

'Middle name?' he says.  He has a shaved head and a prematurely grey goatee.  He looks away.  His hands are in his pockets.  'I don't know about that'.  I suggest that perhaps he doesn't have one.  'Nah', he says.  He looks back and gives me an answer.  I ask if it is with a 'v' or a 'ph'.  'PH', he says.

I thank him for his help and hold out my hand in gratitude.  Still leaning, he takes a hand out of his pocket and shakes.  'That's alright', he says.

No comments:

Post a Comment