what's your middle name?

Someone once told me that you should try to learn something new every day.
With this in mind, each day of 2012 I will try to discover the middle name of someone I do not know.
This blog charts my progress.
Richard M. Crawley


Tuesday 23 October 2012

Julia

A young woman is sitting in the stairs outside her flat listening to an i-pad.  She is wearing a hoodie.  As I pass she takes a white earphone from her left ear and asks if I have a light.  I tell her that I don't but seize the opportunity to ask my question.

She shakes her head in lack of comprehension.  I attempt a mime.  'Ah', she says.  'You mean when it's like James Victoria Something'.  It seems as though she has the idea.  'I think that is Julia', she says.  I mumble something about her not being sure but realise that I am wading into choppy language waters.  Instead, I ask where she is from.  'Italy', she says.

No comments:

Post a Comment