what's your middle name?

Someone once told me that you should try to learn something new every day.
With this in mind, each day of 2012 I will try to discover the middle name of someone I do not know.
This blog charts my progress.
Richard M. Crawley


Saturday 29 December 2012

Clara Louise

At an alpine-themed birthday party, two girls are on either side of the corridor eating vodka jelly.  The floor is lined with fake snow and there is a stag's head made of cardboard hanging in the hall.  Passing through on my way out, I pause to ask my question.

The girl to my right, whose hair is mid-length and permed, doesn't have one but offers me her full name instead.  The girl to my left, whose hair is long and half tied-back in a ponytail, is more help.  'I've got two', she says.  She is wearing heavy blue eye-liner and is a cousin of the hostess.  She tells me that her family had to change their name from 'Rubenstein' because of prejudice.  Her grandfather ended up sticking a pin in the phone book to come up with a suitable alternative.

I want to find out more but there are good byes to be said and overland trains to catch.

No comments:

Post a Comment