what's your middle name?

Someone once told me that you should try to learn something new every day.
With this in mind, each day of 2012 I will try to discover the middle name of someone I do not know.
This blog charts my progress.
Richard M. Crawley


Tuesday 4 December 2012

Teresa

A man and a woman are having a tete-a-tete outside the bookies.  They are both squat and about the same height.  He is wearing a white baseball cap.  She has frizzy hair tied back in a ponytail.  I approach to ask my question.

''Ere we go', says the man.  'I've met you before'.  The woman spreads her arms.  She speaks mouthily.  'You've gotta guess mine', she says.  'It's after a saint'.  The man tries to pull her away.  I try Frances, Margaret and Elizabeth.  'Are you a bit doolally?' she asks.  'Very probably', I reply.  The man needs the toilet.  'Come on, Steph', he says.  'Nah', I'm going to chat to Rupert here', she says.  She tugs at my yellow-checked scarf.  The man goes into the bookies.

She asks me what I do during the day.  I tell her.  We talk about a love of language and the fact that long words don't have to be scary.  I ask her what she does during the day.  'Absolutely nothing at the moment', she says.  'Sometimes I get a bit ill'.  When she is well she volunteers in customer service.  'We all know what it's like when it's bad', she says.  She prides herself on giving it good.  'I'm a people person', she says.

The man returns.  I tell him that I'm sure I haven't asked him before.  'Nah', he says.  'You asked my friend'.  He makes to move away.  'He's a people person too', says the woman.  I say that I'm not sure that he likes me.  'It's not that I don't like you', he says.  'I just don't know you'.

I thank the woman for her help and say it was nice to meet her.  She puts out her hand and we shake.  She wishes me a good Christmas.

No comments:

Post a Comment