what's your middle name?

Someone once told me that you should try to learn something new every day.
With this in mind, each day of 2012 I will try to discover the middle name of someone I do not know.
This blog charts my progress.
Richard M. Crawley


Wednesday 12 December 2012

Neil (McFarlane?)


‘I’ve been waiting to order a packet of Roast beef crisps for the past twenty minutes’, says the young man sitting next to me at the bar.  I ask if he wants me to order them for him.  ‘No’, he says.  His hair is combed back from his forehead and he has a small hoop earring in his left ear.  His knee is exposed.  For a moment I think he is wearing unseasonal shorts but they are, in fact, a pair of heavily ripped jeans.  ‘I couldn’t make you do that’.  I offer him a deal.

He gives me his middle names in exchange for crisps.  ‘Why do you have two?’ I ask.  ‘Why do you have one?’ is his reply.  His companion, with dark hair parted like curtains, watches with a wry expression.

On returning to my table, I get my comeuppance from Sunday’s hubris.  My mind is blank.  It is made worse by trying out various possibilities with my friends.  I look back to the bar to see if I can seek verification but my middle name and his crisps have gone. 

No comments:

Post a Comment