what's your middle name?

Someone once told me that you should try to learn something new every day.
With this in mind, each day of 2012 I will try to discover the middle name of someone I do not know.
This blog charts my progress.
Richard M. Crawley


Thursday 13 December 2012

John Thornley

At my parents' house for supper, my father has two musical companions with whom he is about to play piano trios.  One, whom I have met before, is an enthusiastic cellist of about his age who is wearing a patterned woollen jumper.  The other is a violinist of about my age whose hair is blonde and parted at the side.  He is wearing a red fleece with a zip.

My mother suggests that an opportunity might have presented itself.  The violinist, whom I have never met before, gives me an answer.  The first is the name by which he is called.  The second is a family name.  The cellist doesn't have one because his father thought that two names were enough.

My issue resolved, the conversation moves on to questions of tempo, the perfectness of perfect pitch and the controversial use of vibrato in Baroque music.


No comments:

Post a Comment