what's your middle name?

Someone once told me that you should try to learn something new every day.
With this in mind, each day of 2012 I will try to discover the middle name of someone I do not know.
This blog charts my progress.
Richard M. Crawley


Monday 17 December 2012

Katse

'Excuse me', says a girl in a popular American clothing store.  'Could you try on a jacket for me?'  She is wearing a black padded coat and has long dark hair that is parted in the middle.  She is carrying several bags and her posture is slightly hunched.  I am happy to help.  She is buying a present for a relative who is about my size.  We try on the medium.  It fits but is a little spacious.  It is a tawny-coloured wind jacket with a hood and fleece interior.  She passes me the same jacket but in small.  'I think that's better', she says.  I agree.  'In fact', I say, 'I quite like it'.  I am almost reluctant to give it back.  'It's difficult to find clothes in autumnal colours', she says.

I do give the jacket back but ask if I might have a middle name in return.  She says she doesn't have one but then considers.  'I've got a Chinese one', she says.  'But I don't know if that really counts'.  I decide that, after yesterday's effort, it definitely does.

No comments:

Post a Comment