what's your middle name?

Someone once told me that you should try to learn something new every day.
With this in mind, each day of 2012 I will try to discover the middle name of someone I do not know.
This blog charts my progress.
Richard M. Crawley


Saturday 1 December 2012

Geoffrey/Jeffrey?

The young child who watches me drink my coffee in the over-priced cafe of a bookshop doesn't have one.  His mother is Spanish and wanted to keep things simple.  Nor does the man standing in the cold by the Royal Festival hall with a walkie-talkie.

Instead, walking home past the new local, I pause to ask two smokers if they have a middle name to spare.  'That's fantastic', says the man who is standing by a picnic table.  'I love it'.  His long hair is wavy.  He leans forward with enthusiasm.  His companion (who is seated at the picnic table and has a dark fringe) smiles broadly.  'Does that mean you are going to have three-hundred and sixty-five middle names by the end of the year?', he asks.  'I hope so', I reply. 

He gladly gives me an answer.  I tell him that he is the first of that name I've had this year.  He is pleased.  I forget to ask how it is spelt.

No comments:

Post a Comment