what's your middle name?

Someone once told me that you should try to learn something new every day.
With this in mind, each day of 2012 I will try to discover the middle name of someone I do not know.
This blog charts my progress.
Richard M. Crawley


Tuesday 25 December 2012

Ivan

On a posthumous dog walk with my family in the rain, a couple are walking towards us.  They are middle-aged and well-heeled.  She is wearing a bright red coat and a pill-box hat which is black with beige scribbles.  He is wearing a tailored jacket and carrying a full-length umbrella with a cane handle.  The hair that he has is white and shaved close to his scalp.  They look as though they are following a map on an electronic device.  I halt their progress to ask my question. 

'Well you can't ask me because I don't have one', says the lady.  She looks at me through wire-rimmed spectacles.  I turn my attention to the gentleman. He is well spoken and gentle.  He pronounces his middle name with a long 'a'.  I ask if it is Russian.  'Obviously', he replies.  But he does not know why his parents chose it.

We wish each other a happy Christmas and my family and I continue to walk the dog that died three-and-a-half years ago across the Common.

No comments:

Post a Comment