what's your middle name?

Someone once told me that you should try to learn something new every day.
With this in mind, each day of 2012 I will try to discover the middle name of someone I do not know.
This blog charts my progress.
Richard M. Crawley


Monday 2 January 2012

Anne (with an 'e')

On the till in a large Tesco was a thin lady with short dark hair, a craggy face and a voice that sounded like cigarettes.  She was cleaning her fingers with a folded J-cloth.  Her first name was printed on a badge.  I approached with a banana, a bottle of water and a packet of McCoys flamed steak crisps.  She seemed happy to answer my question.  I asked why it was with an 'e'.  She said I would have to ask her mother but that she had always preferred it with an 'e' anyway.  I said that was lucky.  She asked what made me to decide to take up this project.  I mumbled something about new year resolutions.  She said she had never made a new year's resolution and never intended to.  The total owed was £1.30.  She said that her new year's resolution could be not to make any new year's resolutions.  I said that sounded like an achievable goal.

No comments:

Post a Comment