what's your middle name?

Someone once told me that you should try to learn something new every day.
With this in mind, each day of 2012 I will try to discover the middle name of someone I do not know.
This blog charts my progress.
Richard M. Crawley


Saturday 21 January 2012

Valerie

Standing in the hallway of a National Trust property, we were being told about the early life of society hostess Margaret Greville.  A young couple had been given tailor-made blue plastic bags to put over their muddy walking shoes.  Behind me stood a silent stewardess.  She had a bouffant of grey hair and was wearing shoes, gloves and a jumper in different shades of red.  She also had on a suit jacket and smart trousers.  On her lapel was a badge.  It bore the same name as a Norwich football-supporting celebrity female chef. 

Leaving the smoking room, I approached the stewardess.  She was handing out bits of paper on which we could note down what we had made of the tour.  'Oh right', she said as I explained my odd request.  I admitted that it was her name badge that had attracted my attention.  I asked how long she had suffered the comparison.  'Ever since I got married', was the reply.  Then she corrected herself, 'Well actually I suppose she didn't really become famous until later'.  She gave me a comment sheet and I wrote in pencil, 'Interesting and informative - thank you'.  I had to remind her that it was actually her middle name that I needed.  She told me and then, as I returned the paper and pencil, she said, 'I hope I've given you what you were after'.  I said she had and thanked her again.  'What's your name by the way?'  she asked as I headed back into the grounds.  I replied and we agreed that it had been nice to meet each other.

No comments:

Post a Comment