what's your middle name?

Someone once told me that you should try to learn something new every day.
With this in mind, each day of 2012 I will try to discover the middle name of someone I do not know.
This blog charts my progress.
Richard M. Crawley


Sunday 15 January 2012

Frances McKenzie

Standing by a fire at a thirtieth birthday party, I found myself talking to the mother and godmother of the birthday girl.  They quizzed me about my career and I tried not to make it sound too disappointing in comparison to their more successful daughter/god-daughter.  We discussed the trails of creativity and the godmother talked of the importance of making one's life viable.  I agreed.  Our conversation was interrupted by the excited arrival of two new party guests and the reaction to their dresses but I managed to accost the godmother before she left.  I explained what I was doing.  'An honour', said the mother.  I asked whether Frances was spelled with an 'i' or an 'e'.  She leaned in.  ''i' for a boy, 'e' for a girl', she said.  I should have known that.

No comments:

Post a Comment