what's your middle name?

Someone once told me that you should try to learn something new every day.
With this in mind, each day of 2012 I will try to discover the middle name of someone I do not know.
This blog charts my progress.
Richard M. Crawley


Tuesday 3 January 2012

In Turkey they don't have middle names

I was accosted on the Hammersmith Road by a man in a black leather jacket holding a black fold-up umbrella with a large wart by the side of his nose.  Beside him was a younger and taller man with dark spiky hair.  He asked whether I was local.  After considering for a moment, I remembered that I was and was able to inform him that he was not yet within the congestion zone.  I took the opportunity to pounce and followed him down the road.  He looked suspicious.  He told me that he didn't have a middle name.  I didn't know whether to believe him.  "Sorry mate, I can't help you out", he said shaking his head.  I asked about his friend.  "My cousin.  In Turkey we don't have middle names" he replied.  They walked away from me at a faster pace.

I asked the question to Google and it appears that, whilst not an absolute truth, middle names are less common in Turkey although they are becoming more popular.

No comments:

Post a Comment