what's your middle name?

Someone once told me that you should try to learn something new every day.
With this in mind, each day of 2012 I will try to discover the middle name of someone I do not know.
This blog charts my progress.
Richard M. Crawley


Saturday 14 January 2012

Thomas and Ahmed

In the Indian take-away again and waiting for my order on a high stool, I exchange eye-contact with a friendly-looking white man with a bald head and a padded quilted jacket.  Next to him sat a small Asian boy with his head bowed to the ground.  I plucked up the courage to ask the older man and he seemed delighted to have a cause for conversation while we awaited our curries.  He had lived in the area for 25 years and printed government papers until his recent retirement.  He is enjoying his new life.  Gardening was a mentioned hobby.  Although he did say he missed the company.  He and his wife have got holidays booked including a short one to Berlin and a longer one to Australia.  'It's alright', he said.

I asked whether the small boy was his grandson.  My guess turned out to be correct and he quietly revealed his middle name too.  They were having a family meal.  His son and daughter-in-law have two other children, although he didn't think one would be eating a lot of curry as she was less than two-years old.  His daughter was coming round too so it was quite a party.  They had spent £69 on the take-away and the grandson was going to help carry it.

No comments:

Post a Comment