what's your middle name?

Someone once told me that you should try to learn something new every day.
With this in mind, each day of 2012 I will try to discover the middle name of someone I do not know.
This blog charts my progress.
Richard M. Crawley


Sunday 22 January 2012

Anthony

Passing the 'Spice and Nice Bakery' I noticed some packets of unidentified brown chips.  A man was standing behind the counter looking bored.  He wore a flat cap and a scarf emblazoned with red spiders sitting in the middle of white webs.  I opened the door and went in to investigate further.  'Coconut and sugar - very nice', he told me.  A younger colleague emerged from the back room, 'and ginger - delicious', he added.  I agreed that they sounded tasty.  'You're going to like them - guaranteed - share with friends'.  It sounded like an offer too good to be refused and, at one pound fifty, a reasonable price.  I handed over my change and used the opportunity to ask my question.  I checked whether or  not it had an 'h' and then found found myself demanding why.  'I'm a Christian', he said by way of explanation, 'or I'm not a Christian but my parents were Christians.  I used to go to church all the time as a child'.  'But not any more?' I said in an attempt at joviality.  'Alright', he replied, signaling an end to the inquisition.

Although lacking in friends with whom to share them, I have cracked open my packet of coconut bites.  They are a strange mixture of fudge and nut - quite nice but I'm not sure I could eat them all.

No comments:

Post a Comment